Check Your Batteries!

co-detectTwo Berkeley renters died last week in a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

News reports did not say if the building’s owner was required to have installed a carbon monoxide detector, but BTU thought this would be a good time to remind all renters that MOST apartments have been required by state law to have CO detectors since 2013. Single-family and duplex homes were required to have the alarms as of July 2011.

Carbon monoxide does not smell. CO alarms are required on every floor, including basements, and should be placed in hallways outside of bedrooms. The law applies only to homes and buildings that have a gas heater or appliance, fireplace or attached garage. It is the renter’s responsibility to check and replace batteries.

Smoke detectors are required in all units.

Poison Gas May Have Come from 3D Printer
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/01/27/source-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-killed-berkeley-couple/

More on Deaths at 3028 Deakin Fourplex
http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/02/03/berkeley-police-carbon-monoxide-caused-death-couple-cats/

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/01/28/carbon-monoxide-laser-cutter-may-caused-mysterious-deaths-berkeley-home/

500 People Die Each Year
“Because it is not a disease that requires reporting for record keeping, it is difficult to find statistics on how many illnesses and deaths occur from carbon monoxide poisoning in the Bay Area. But about 500 people die and 20,000 are injured each year nationwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In San Francisco, Pacific Gas & Electric crews have responded to 757 carbon monoxide investigation calls so far in 2012, said utility spokesman Joe Molica.”
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Monoxide-detector-rules-expand-Jan-1-4079115.php

Where to Place Detectors
http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Planning_and_Development/Housing_Code_Enforcement/Carbon_Monoxide_Devices.asp

Posted in Issues Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,